Rice's Point separates Duluth-Superior's outer from it's inner harbor, and is a focal point of Duluth's industrial activity. Many of the city's bridges can be seen, among them the Aerial Lift Bridge to the left, the John A. Blatnik Bridge straight ahead, and the Richard Bong Memorial Bridge to the right. The latter two connect Duluth with Superior, Wisconsin. Since the opening of the first Soo Lock in 1855, joining Lake Superior to the other Great Lakes, Duluth-Superior has been an important shipping center, first for forest products and, with the opening of the Mesabi Range, for iron ore. Duluth-Superior became an international seaport in 1959 with the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway, of which this is the westernmost terminus - the world's most inland seaport, 2340 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and 602 feet above sea level. Ships from all merchant nations visit the harbor, which ranks above any other inland port in annual tonnage. The port is served by six railroads.
One of a series of Skyline Drive Commemorative Plaques erected in 1972 by the Duluth Lions Club in cooperation with the Duluth Area Chamber of Commerce Convention & Visitors Bureau.