Edmund Lee Family Graveyard and the Lonesome Grave
According to local history, members of the Lee family are buried here. Rev. Edmund Lee, a Presbyterian Minister, his wife Electa, and their daughter Sarah, came to the Village of Manatee in 1844 from Vermont. Although he came to Florida expecting to die as he suffered from consumption, Lee lived until 1892 and outlived three wives: Electa, the first school teacher in Manatee County, Addie Frierson Lee and Elizabeth O'Dell Lee. Lee, his wives and daughter, and another man, James R. McCarter, are said to be buried here. To the east is the lone grave of James C. Vanderipe. Vanderipe married Lee's daughter Sarah, but at his death in 1879, Lee refused to bury him in the family cemetery due to an argument between the two men.
William R. Whitaker House
Built in two parts, the front portion of this house many have been constructed as early as 1876. William R. Whitaker, the son of the first white setter of Sarasota, acquired the house about 1895 for his wife, Fannie Vanderipe, and added the back portion at that time. Whitaker was one of the area's first celery growers, and a partner in several businesses including the Manatee Bridge Company. In his employ were Jeff Bolding and his wife, Elle, former slaves,
who also lived here with the Whitaker family. Whitaker's father found Bolding, ill and starving, and purchased him from his owner for $1,000. After the war, he was freed, but remained with the family. After Bolding's death in 1904. Ellen went to work for King Wiggins who built the general store now in the Manatee Village Historical Park.