In May, 1700, William Clarke and Deacon Josiah
Dewey acquired land in Lebanon Crank
by agreement with Oweneco, son of the Indian
sachem Unicas. Settlers arrived and, in 1715,
pleading remoteness from the place of worship
successfully petitioned the General Assembly
to form a second ecclesiastical society
in Lebanon. This society remained part of
Lebanon until 1804 when it was incorporated
as the town of Columbia.
Moor's Indian Charity School was established
here in 1754 for the education of Indian
missionaries by the Reverand Eleazar Wheelock.
The school was later removed by Dr. Wheelock
to Hanover, New Hampshire, and Dartmouth
College, chartered in 1769, was its outgrowth