May 2, 1863. Having lost the Furnace, the 23rd Georgia Regiment established a new line here in the bed of the Unfinished Railroad. Other troops reinforced the position. During late afternoon, while Jackson's front lines were hitting the Federal right, the rearguard Confederates fell back according to orders. Colonel Best, however, received the word too late. Although he and a few of his men escaped, the bulk of the 23rd Georgia was captured. This railroad then comprised a series of graded sections without tracks. Finished later, from Fredericksburg to Orange Court House, it ceased operation in 1938, except for a spur at Fredericksburg.