Comfortable and reliable rail transportation to and from Philadelphia encouraged the development and growth of suburban neighborhoods in Haverford Township. The large sign behind the trolley car instructs perspective buyers of homes in Llanerch to visit the trolley station for information. Homes on Llandaff and Tenby can be seen in the distance.
For a nickle, commuters traveled from Ardmore to 63rd Street in 22 minutes. The trolley ran along Darby Road stopping at Brookline, Oakmont, Merwood and Ardmore Junction on its way to Ardmore on the Main Line. The Ardmore Line operated until December 1966.
The neighborhood of Llanerch, on land originally granted to Welsh Quaker, Lewis David grew from the farms of Silas Bewley, Morgan Davis, Mary Albertson and Charles Taylor. Mary Albertson is credited with naming Llanerch for a location in Wales.
Many of Llanerch's beautiful homes were designed by the architectural firm of Kennedy, Hays and Kelsey. Both Robert G. Kennedy and Frank A. Hays maintained residences here. Mr. Hays planned the home of William C. Pritchett known as "Richland" across West Chester Pike where Gilmore and Olympic Roads are today. Llanerch was the first subdivision in the township to make use of deed restrictions, setbacks and minimum cost of the homes. By 1912 the community had two churches, an elementary
school and a grocery store, now the Llanerch Fire House.
[Photo captions, from left to right, read]
Opening day of the West Chester Traction Company's Ardmore Line at Llanerch Junction on May 30, 1902.
1909 Map of Llanerch
Early 1900's postcard of Davis Road
Postcard of Llanerch grocery store, now the Llanerch firehouse.