The B-47 was the world's first swept wing bomber and the first to use a bicycle arrangement landing gear, which was necessary because of the thin wings. It was also the first plane built solely for the delivery of nuclear weapons. The B-47 series aircraft were built by Boeing Aircraft Co., Douglas Aircraft Co., and Lockheed-Georgia Co. ; a total of 1,260 B-47s were built as bombers and 600 were built as trainers and reconnaissance aircraft.
The B-47 first flew on December 17, 1947 and the first B-47A was delivered to the USAF in 1951. The RB-47H electronic reconnaissance and countermeasures version of the B-47E. It was built in response for the capability of countering enemy air defense systems. The first RB-47H entered service in August 1955 and the last delivered in January 1957.
This RB-47H S/N 53-4296 differed somewhat in equipment on board and carried six crewmembers. This particular aircraft served with the 55th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing at Forbes AFB, KS. And was the last operational B-47 in the USAF; when flown to Davis Monthan AFB, AZ for storage.
Item of interest — During the early days of Eglin Gulf Test Range, several B-47s were converted to target drones for the Bomarc Missile Program.
Manufacturer Boeing Aircraft Corp
Thrust Six General
Electric J47-GE-25 Turbojet engines rated at 7,200 lbs of thrust w/water injection each
Length 107 ft
Height 27 ft 11 in
Wingspan 116 ft
Weight 79,074 lbs Empty / 230,000 lbs Max
Speed 607 mph Max / 500 mph Cruise
Range 3,935 miles unrefueled
Ceiling 38,850 ft
Armament Two — 50 cal machineguns on the A Model and Two — 20mm M24A1 cannons in extreme tail on all other Models. B-47s designed as Bombers could carry a payload of up to 25,000 lbs of bombs - conventional or nuclear
This aircraft is on loan from the National Museum of the United States Air Force