This launch platform was used to launch the BOMARC Missile. The BOMARC ("BO" Boeing and "MARC" from Michigan Aeronautic Research Center), originally designated as the XF-99, was later redesignated IM-99 then CIM-10A, was a surfaced launched pilotless interceptor missile designed to destroy enemy aircraft. Testing of prototypes began in 1952 and the -A series was declared operational in 1961. Complete phase-out of the BOMARC program was completed in October 1972.
Upon radar notification this launcher was able to give almost instantaneous response (30 seconds) by lifting a 16,032 pound missile with a nuclear warhead. Propelled at launch by a rocket booster until it reached sufficient speed for its ramjets to operate, it was guided from the ground to the vicinity of its target at which time it came under control of an internal target seeker.
One BOMARC missile could provide cover for an area about 500,000 square miles. In September 1958, the Air Research and Development Command decided to transfer the BOMARC program from Cape Canaveral to a new facility on Santa Rosa Island. The 4751st Air Defense Wing (Missile) was established on 15 January 1958 at Eglin AFB, FL. The first launch from Santa Rosa was on 15 January 1959. More than 200 launches were made from Eglin AFB before the Hurlburt Field Operational test/training
unit was deactivated in 1979.
Specifications for BOMARC Missile B Series
Manufacturer Boeing/Michigan Aeronautical Research Center
Thrust One — Thiokol solid-fuel rocket booster of 50,000 lbs of thrust and Two — Marquardt ramjets of 14,000 lbs of thrust each
Length 46 ft 10 in
Wing span 18 ft 2 in
Height 10 ft 4 in
Weight 15,619 lbs normal / 16,032 Max
Speed 1,975 mph Max
Range 440 miles
Ceiling 100,000 ft
Armament Nuclear or Conventional warheads
This launch platform is on loan from the National Museum of the United States Air Force