Rockville started in the 1750s as a tiny Village Crossroads
. It was called Owens Ordinary, Hungerford's Tavern, Montgomery Court House, Williamsburgh, and finally in 1803 Rockville. § Route 355
began as an Indian path that later became a colonial route to America's western frontier. § Tobacco Planters
came through Rockville in the 18th century on rolling roads as they shipped crops to the port of George Town and Bladensburg. § On maps dated 1791 roads known today as Veirs Mill, Route 28 West, the Rockville Pike, Great Falls and Baltimore Road appear and meet at the center
of our then tiny village.
was built in 1951 as the Rockville By-Pass to channel through traffic around the main commercial street. § The Post Office
ran rural routes out of Rockville until the mid 1950s. § The Washington National Pike
(now I-270) opened in 1957 to connect Washington D.C. with Frederick County as part of the National system of Interstate and Defense Highways. § Ride-On Buses
started operating in Rockville in 1981. § Metrorail's Red Line
extended to Rockville and Shady Grove in 1984. § A partial Circumferential Highway
including Gude Drive, Wooton Parkway and First Street was completed in 1991.
Twenty years after the Rockville Pike was taken over
Panel 2by the State Roads Commission it became one of Maryland's First Paved Roads (1920s). § Rockville's First Traffic Signal (1927 was a stop-and-go light at Montgomery Avenue and Washington Street. In 2006 Rockville had 48 traffic signals. § Bus Service arrived in Rockville in the 1930s. § Congressional Airport operated on the Rockville Pike form 1928 to 1959. § The town installed Parking Meters in the business district in 1946 and initiated a SmoothSeal program of road maintenance in 1959.
Investors chartered the Washington Turnpike Company in 1805 to build a road from Georgetown to Rockville — The Rockville Pike. § In the 1860s, the Rockville Pike was a Well-Used route for escaping slaves and Civil War Armies. § The Railroad came through Montgomery County in 1873, opening Rockville as a summer resort and commuter town of Washington, D.C. § From 1900 to 1935, Trolley Cars carried passengers between Georgetown and Rockville. § In 1913 Rockville raised the Speed Limit to 10 mph.