Authorized on February 22, 1848, by
President James K. Polk, this camp
was situated on a peninsula just south
of Pascagoula called Greenwood Island.
The camp grounds consisted of several
buildings, including a hospital, parade
ground, and cemetery. Under the command
of Brevet Major General David Twiggs,
the camp processed over two thousand
soldiers from June to October 1848. After
the camp closed in 1853, the buildings
were destroyed by a hurricane in 1860,
and the property was sold in 1903.
the Descendants of
Mexican War Veterans