This property was originally platted to Anson Taylor by President Martin Van Buren in 1840, then subsequently sold to William Pratt in 1854, this being platted as part of Plattsburg in 1856. In 1866 this property was sold to John Schuet who pioneered Muskego Beach. In 1925 this property was sold to Muskego Beach Amusement Company which subdivided the land into the Muskego Beach Park Addition and became known as lots 19, 20 and 21. In 1938 the original buildings were constructed and operated as a seasonal soda fountain/general store and year-round home by Gilbert and Grace Russe.
In 1946, two childhood friends, Paul (Mus) De Angelis and Hugh (Russ) McGrorty, returning from serving in WWII, decided to go into business together, purchasing this property with the first VA loan issued in the State of Wisconsin. The original restaurant specialized in homemade custard, burgers and hot dogs, but was soon changed to a drive-in restaurant format; giving birth to the "Big 3 Drive-in." The ever-enterprising pair held other jobs, as the restaurant started out as only seasonal.
In 1953, the forward-thinking friends invented the genuine Pizza-Burger sandwich. They incorporated this new venture, therefore starting a long history of genuine Pizza-Burger" sandwich franchising and the creation of Pizza-Burger seasoning. The "often imitated,
never duplicated" genuine Pizza-Burger" sandwich sold coast-to-coast, including Canada. At one point, over 1500 accounts served the genuine Pizza-Burger sandwich. This family-owned business was overseen from a one-room structure built around an original outdoor barbecue area. The "Big 3 Drive-In" thrived throughout the 1950s and 1960s, serving locals and visitors to Muskego Beach/Dandilion Park, as well as to cruisers and musicians, deeming the drive-in "the place" to hang out.
In the mid 1970s, Paul brought out his longtime partner, Russ, changing the drive-in to a family style restaurant. "Muskego Restaurant" continued to operate until 1993 when the De Angelis family decided to sell this property. Following the sale, this property was home to a butcher shop, day care, and floral boutique.
Pizza-Burgers may no longer be served on this site, but Pizza-Burger System, Inc. is proud to remain a part of the Muskego fabric, successfully managed by the second and third generations of the De Angelis family.