To commemorate the history of the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base and the people who were a part of it, the City of Myrtle Beach and the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base Redevelopment Authority erected a signage program to capture and display the history. Men and women of the former Myrtle Beach Air Force Base were appointed to serve on a committee to design the signage. Representatives included: Gen. Robert Reed, Col. George Branch, Col. Edsel "Coupe" DeVille, CMSgt. Bill Forbus, Col. Robert Pancho" Pasqualicchio, Lt. Col. William H. Rutherford, Col. Thomas "Buddy" Styers, Col. Charles M. Thrash, Mrs. Wilma Hucks Tirrell and Maj. Ed Edelen. Signs were developed and installed at various locations throughout the base property. These signs are in three categories:
1. Location signs are placed at or near the sites of buildings or complexes to describe the significant military activities and operations that occurred at those locations.
2. People signs identify community and military leaders and civil service personnel who played an important role in the history of the base. Signs denoting the people for whom streets are named are placed in prominent positions along the respectively named streets. Other important people signs are located in Valor Memorial Garden , Warbird Park and along Farrow Parkway.
event signs are found in Valor Memorial Garden and along the walkways in Warbird Park. These signs describe the major historical events from World War II to the present that affected and shaped the history of Myrtle Beach Air Force Base
The City of Myrtle Beach and the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base Redevelopment Authority have established three museums to display and preserve the history of the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base. Artifacts, mementoes, memorabilia, photographs and monographs are on permanent display in the lobby of the Base Recreation Center (Gabreski Lane), Crabtree Gym (Crabtree Lane) and Whispering Pines Golf Course Clubhouse.
Wall of Service
The Wall of Service is dedicated to men and women, military and civilian, who served honorably at the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base from 1941-1993. For information about purchasing a nameplate visit www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/wall.html and complete the Wall of Service application.
The F-100DIF Super, Sabre, A-7D Corsair and A-10 Thunderbolt are on display at Warbird Park. The F-100 was assigned to the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing at the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base in 1957. The A-7D was utilized by the Wing from 1970 through 1978 and then was phased out. The A-10 Thunderboit, affectionately known as the Warthog, was utilized by the Myrtle Beach Air Force
Base from 1977-1993.