Convent of San Bernardino de Siena (Saint Berardine of Siena) Historical

Convent of San Bernardino de Siena (Saint Berardine of Siena) Historical (HM1X3A)

Location: Valladolid, Yucatán Valladolid
Country: Mexico

N 20° 41.172', W 88° 12.596'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 41 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription
Convento de San Bernardino de SienaEn el año de 1552 se comenzó la construcción de la iglesia y el convento bajo la dirección de Fray Hernando de Guevara, Francisco de la Torre y Fray Juan de Mérida, este último abandonó la espada para acoger la orden seglar; la orden de los Franciscanos construyó y fundó el convento. El templo, convento y capilla de indios se terminaron de construir en 1560 según consta en una lápida con el escudo Franciscano que se aprecia en la fachada principal, sin embargo la construcción de la cubierta de la noria data de 1613. Sobre la puerta principal del templo, se puede ver el escudo de la orden Franciscana, y por debajo "MDLX" que significa 1560 fecha en que se bendijo este templo y se puso al servicio de la comunidad. La fachada de este convento cuento con un largo corredor de arcos y una portada de piedra labrada de estilo renacentista. Es templo de una sola nave y en el interior hay un nicho superior encima del tabernáculo en el que se observa una imagen de la Virgen de Guadalupe, en el interior se pueden observar también hermosos retablos de madera artísticamente tallados de estilo barroco en sus diferentes expresiones. Impresionante por su tamaño y por sus finos detalles el retablo mayor, a la derecha otro retablo con la pequeña imagen de Santa Teresa
de Jesús y por el lado izquierdo la Virgen Dolorosa, con retablo de madera que en su parte inferior tiene tallada la representación de la Anunciación y la Concepción del Padre Eterno y la Virgen María. En 1755 fue secularizado y abandonado por la orden Franciscana lo que provocó el deterioro del claustro. En 1978 al realizar trabajos de restauración en unos retablos, el padre Andrés Lizama Ruiz los mandó retirar y descubrió en su parte posterior una pinturas de las que se desconoce el autor y las causas por las que permanecieron ocultas, pero se supone corresponden al siglo XVI. El conjunto arquitectónico consta de iglesia, capillas, ex-convento, atrio y huerta; ocupa una superficie de 14,121 m2.
English:Convent of San Bernardino de Siena (Saint Berardine of Siena)In 1552 the construction of the church and convent began under the direction of Fray Hernando de Guevara, Francisco de la Torre and Fray Juan de Mérida. This last one dropped the sword to join religious life. The Franciscan order built and founded the convent.
The temple, convent and indian chapel were finished in 1560, according to a stone plaque with the Franciscan shield placed in the main facade, the construction of the water wheel cover, however, is dated to 1613.
Above the main entrance to the temple is visible the shield of the Franciscan order and underneath
it the inscription "MDLX" meaning 1560, year of consecration and opening to the people of the temple. The
facade of the convent has a long arched hallway and a renaissance style stone carved door. The temple has a single nave, and in the inside there's a superior niche, above the tableau, depicting an image of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Also can be seen beautiful wooden tableaus, craftily carved in different expressions of baroque style. It is impressive both by its size and by its fine details. To the right, another tableau with a
small image of Saint Teresa of Jesus and to the left Our Lady of Sorrows
with a wooden tableau that on the lower part has carved the representation of the Annunciation and the Conception of the Ethernal Father and Holy Mary. In 1775 the convent was secularized and abandoned by the Franciscan order, which prompted the deterioration of the cloister.
In 1978 while restoring some tableaus, Father Andrés Lizama had them removed and discovered on the back some paintings, of unknown author. There's no knowledge of why there were hidden, but they are believed to belong to the 16th Century. The entire architectural complex consists of a church, chapels, ex-convent, atrium and orchard, and it occupies a surface of 14,121 m2 (152,000 Sq Ft)
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1X3A
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Saturday, March 4th, 2017 at 9:01am PST -08:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)16Q E 373985 N 2287889
Decimal Degrees20.68620000, -88.20993333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 20° 41.172', W 88° 12.596'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds20° 41' 10.32" N, 88° 12' 35.76" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 238A Calle 49, Valladolid Yucatán , MX
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?