Side 1(continued on other side)
Founded by the CME (Christian Methodist Episcopal) Church as the only school for black students in the area in the early 1900's, Williams' Temple eventually consolidated with another school in Booker City to form Miles College near Birmingham.
The church property was secured in 1889 for the purpose of worship. Deeds dated July 24, 1903 show that this same property, located along the southeast intersection of East Front Street and Davis Avenue was recorded in the name of Alabama College. The present sanctuary was erected on the campus in 1909, according to the intact cornerstone.
(continued from other side)
Named in honor of Bishop Robert S. Williams, the church was the first established place of worship in the Thomasville area for blacks at the time.
Later, in the 1920's, the first public school was established for black students. The 1930's brought an increased interest in public education. The release of educational responsibilities lead the church to make needed improvements on the structure. The steps were move and a balcony was added. In 1962, a choir loft and offices were built, and the fellowship was added in 1986.