1896—1936On this site was located the First District Agricultural College, authorized by an act of the Alabama Legislature and opened in 1896. The street in front was changed from Grove Hill Road to College Avenue in honor of the new school. An Experimental Station was established about ½ mile north on what is now a shopping center and housing area. The 1927 State Legislature established a Demonstration Farm operated jointly by the school and the extension farm agent. The farm was alongside the Coffeeville Road 1 ½ miles north of here. The farm was terminated and sold in 1939.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||Clarke County Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, February 26th, 2017 at 5:01pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16R E 415068 N 3486879|
|Decimal Degrees||31.51368333, -87.89446667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 30.821', W 87° 53.668'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 30' 49.26" N, 87° 53' 40.08" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 131-199 W Clinton St, Jackson AL 36545, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|