←The Columbus Steamboat Wharf, about 700 ft. from here, was used as a river boat landing for 111 years. 210 steamers arrived from Jan. 26, 1828 when the first steamer, the "Fanny" docked at the wharf until Apr. 1, 1939 when the "George W. Miller" arrived. There were 240 steamboat landings in the 360 miles from Columbus to Apalachicola, port city on the Gulf of Mexico. The Confederate gunboat, "Jackson," mounting six heavy naval cannon, built near the Columbus Wharf, was burned there by invading Federal forces, April 17, 1865. Afire, she floated several miles down the river and sank, burned to the waterline.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||The Georgia Historical Association|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, February 4th, 2017 at 9:01pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 688324 N 3593582|
|Decimal Degrees||32.46351667, -84.99623333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 27.811', W 84° 59.774'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 27' 48.66" N, 84° 59' 46.44" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near Co Rd 28, Phenix City AL 36867, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|