The Texas Confederate Woman's home opened in 1908 and provided a home for over three thousand wives and widows of Confederate Veterans. Potential residents were wives or widows of honorably discharged Confederate soldiers, women who could prove active participation in the Confederate War effort, and women 60 years or older without a means of support.
The Confederate Men's Home began in Austin in 1884 and the Albert Sidney Johnston Chapter #105 of the Texas Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) made visits, brought gifts, food and clothing to the veterans. Under the leadership of President Katie Daffan, the Texas UDC began coordination and fundraising to secure a home for needy Confederate wives and widows. Through dinners, events, concerts and individual donations, the Texas UDC purchased property and constructed a Richardson Romanesque Revival style structure. In addition to several bedrooms and bathrooms, the home featured a parlor, dining area and a hospital. UDC chapters from all over the state donated furnishings for the home.
Due to the cost to maintain the home, the UDC transferred the home to the state of Texas on Dec. 23, 1911. An annex was built that doubled the size and increased the capacity, and a hospital was erected in 1916. The state legislature established the Board of Control
to operate the home in 1920, and then in 1949, responsibility transferred to the Board for Texas State Hospitals and Special Schools. This home provided for more than 3,400 indigent wives and widows of Confederate veterans and operated until 1963, when the last residents were transferred to private nursing homes.