Today, this nature preserve features a quiet woodland trail. In years past, one would have heard the sounds of bustling industry here. From the late 1700s into the 1900s a mill complex operated in this section of Fiddlers Creek. The creek itself was dammed to create a millpond that powered the mill.
The mill was first owned and operated by the Titus family, but later changed hands and became known as Agnew & Snook Mills. The Federal Census of New Jersey reveals that by 1850 the sawmill employed four workers. At the time, this mill was one of Hopewell's busiest, due to land clearing for settlement and rafting of logs down the Delaware River.
In the 1870s the complex also operated as a grist mill that milled wheat, rye, cornmeal, oatmeal, buckwheat, and feed. By the late 1870s, the sawmill ceased operation as supplies of raw wood from area forests dwindled.
In 1879 the mill was destroyed by fire. The facility was replaced by a rubber mill, which operated into the early 1900s.