Lewis & Clark camped here and said much 'elk sign' on August 22, 1804 and held first election in northwest that evening.
In 1856, the Sioux City-Ft. Randall Military Road passed hereby.
Eli Wixson arrived on 22 July 1859 and built a log cabin for travelers and trade store for Indians.
In 1860, John R. Wood and family arrived as did George Stickney, first attorney.
Cole County (now Union) was created in 1862 and Elk Point became third county seat by popular vote in April, 1865.
In March, 1861, Wood & Sheldon hauled logs for Episcopal Church organized by Melanchton Hoyt.
Wixson was first postmaster 9 July 1860 and by 1862 had a two-story hotel where the militia rendezvoused in the Indian scare of 1862. This group, with 61 of its 90 members from Elk Point, became Company B. Dakota Cavalry under Captain William Tripp.
N.J. Wallace taught first school in 1861-62.
Fairchild & Green had first regular store in 1865.
Village organized April 24, 1862, John R. Wood, Eli B. Wixson, Myron Sheldon, W.W. Adams and Preston M. Hotchkiss Trustees. It was incorporated by the legislature, by a 23-page act, January 10, 1873.
The Leader, Edited by F.O. Wisner, 3/17/70 was first newspaper.
The first child was a son of Joseph LaBarge in 1861.
J.W. Hoffman had first flour mill in 1873, succeeded by M.W. Sheafe's
Dakota mills, first roller mill in territory, 1881 and largest with 4000 bbl. Warehouse.
The Dakota Southern reached Elk Point, Nov. 13, 1872. It was never a steamboat town.