Located on this bluff overlooking Minette Bay, Battery No. 21 anchored the right flank of Maj. Gen. Edward Canby's Army of West Mississippi during the Battle of Spanish Fort. Maj. Gen. Andrew Smith's XVI Army Corps occupied the right half of Canby's force during the thirteen-day siege. Smith's troops were from IL IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, NJ, NY, and OH. The 14th Indiana Light Artillery, under the command of Capt. Francis Morse, manned Battery No. 21. They were armed with two 12-pounder Napoleon cannons.
Col. James Geddes' Brigade of Brig. Gen. Eugene Carr's Division occupied the extreme right of the Union line. The brigade consisted of the 81st, 108th, 124th IL, and the 8th IA Infantry Regiments. At 6:10 pm on April 8, 1865, the 8th Iowa began the final assault on the Confederate line when they charged across the swamp at the base of this bluff. 1st Sgt. Edgar Bras of Co. K of the 8th Iowa was awarded the Medal of Honor for capturing a battle flag from the hands of a color-bearer from a Texas cavalry regiment.