Side 1(Continued on other side)
In the early 1900s, Repton was a bustling railroad town along the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. Among other businesses, it boasted several hotels, banks, stores, a livery stable, cotton gin and the only hospital with a Board Certified Surgeon between Selma, Alabama and Century, Florida. The U.S. Post Office was established in 1881 and the Town of Repton was incorporated on January 10, 1899. In that same year, the railroad was extended through the middle of the downtown area and a turntable was installed. The name Repton was the surname of a railroad official at that time. The first elected officials of Repton were Mr. A.F. Peterman, Mayor, and council members: Dr. William Watson, C.S. Kelly, C.H. Stallworth, E.L. Martin and W.S. Wiggins.
from other side)
Repton is located in Conecuh County, which was created on February 13, 1818. The name of the county is a word of Muscogee origin, and is said to be a corruption of "Econneka," meaning "land of cane," according to Marcus H. Cruikshank. The population of Repton in 1880 was 100; 1920 - 422; 1940 - 365; and in 2000 - 280. As transportation shifted to trucking, the town slowly withered. In 2004, the Repton Restoration Society was established to help the Town of Repton breathe life into this once vivacious community. This marker is located on the site of the town's first beautification project, 2009. This project would not have been possible without the hard work and generosity of many people. A debt of gratitude is owed to the Alabama Railroad Company which allowed the town access to this site in order to brighten, build and move the community