Prior to 1885, a wooden building with rooms overlooking a hog pen had been used to house the insane patients. It was in such poor condition, however, that the infirmary director would not be responsible for anything that might happen to patients housed in that building. plans were made in 1883 for a new lunatic house to replace the condemned wooden building.
In 1885, building of the new lunatic house began. The structure was to be made of brick and having two stories, 26 x 40 feet. The lower floor was to be divided into cells, while the upper floor was to be used as a hospital.
By January 7, 1886, the building was finished. It consisted of cells, hospital rooms, a bathroom, and a room for the attendants. Eight patients were moved in. The heat was supplied from the main building. Cost of construction was $1700.00