The flagstaff has been the one constant feature of all military establishments since the creation of the U.S. Army in 1784.No matter what era or architectural style, the flagstaff has remained at the center of the parade ground and at the center of every army post's ceremonial traditions.
All major installations, and most outposts, in Arizona Territory during the Apache wars had flagstaffs similar to the one you see here. Fort Lowell's flagstaff was erected in March 1873. It stood sixty-five feet high and, due to the difficulty of obtaining and transporting a one-piece flagpole, was constructed in two pieces. It was painted white, with ladder steps leading up to a dark brown mid-section. Depending on the circumstances, one of three sizes of the American flag was flown from the flagpole: a 4'x8' storm flag in windy weather, a 10' x 20" post flag during pleasant condition, and a 20'x 36' garrison flag on "holidays and great occasion." Soldiers gathered here in the early morning for the raising of the flag and at sunset for its lowering.
This is Fort Lowell's third flagstaff. The original was located to the west, in what is now the middle of Craycroft Road. When the post was abandoned in 1891, much of its lumber was auctioned off. Local residents gathered up the remainder. Part of the original flagstaff was reportedly
used as a crane in an automobile garage. The second flagpole (1978-2005) was a historical reconstruction that succumbed to age. The present flagpole was erected in 2007. A generous donation from the Arizona State Society Daughters of the American Colonists paid for this interpretive sign.