July 18, 1833 - July 16, 1899
Discoverer of the famous Carlsbad mineral water and co-founder of the City of Carlsbad, California
While drilling for fresh water for his farm on this spot in 1882, John Frazier sank three wells - one 415 feet, one 450 feet, and one 510 feet deep. As well as fresh water, he found two artesian springs with mineral water that proved therapeutic for internal and skin ailments.
Several wealthy men from the midwest jointed him in founding the city of Carlsbad, California. They built on this property a beautiful 85-room hotel and spa that drew thousands from across the United States until the hotel burned down in 1895. The mineral water continued to be bottled and sold all over the country.
In 1930, the luxurious 130-room California-Carlsbad Mineral Springs Hotel & Spa was built across the street from this spot and the health resort was visited by many famous people.
The mineral water made Carlsbad world famous for many years until the Great Depression, and because of lack of maintenance, the wells broke down.
The water was untapped from then until restoration of the mineral springs was begun in June 1993 by Kay Christiansen and Ludvik & Veronicia Grigoras. The mineral springs was reopened, after 110 years, during a ceremony on July 24, 1994. An official delegation from our European Sister
City, Karlovy Vary (Karlsbad), Czech Republic for the first time visited our city to participate in this historic event.
Companies that generously participated in this historical project are:
Barbour Corp, Cetco, Inc., Diversified Well Products, Inc., Environmental Engineering Laboratory, Grundfos Pump Corp., Hygroscope Prod. Inc., Morrison Drilling, Schucard Assoc. Inc., Swyco Inc., Quality Assurance Laboratory, West Hazmat Inc.
This statue of Capt. John A. Frazier was created in Europe by Vaclay Lokvenc, a renowned sculptor and the former mayor of Karlovy Varv (Karlsbad), Czech Republic, who signed a sister city agreement with Carlsbad, California, in 1991. Mr. Lokvenc donated his skill and time to the project, declining payment for his work.
The statue is over 10 feet tall, weighs over 1,000 pounds, took about 1,000 hours to construct and is made of bronze plate.
The cost of materials, installation, and transportation for the statue was covered by donations from many citizens, companies, and organizations.
Those who donated 1,000 dollars or more are:
Helen Allman, Marge Blaine & Helen Champoux, Dennis Brandmeyer, Carlsbad Historical Society, Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort, California Lutheran Homes, Kate Christiansen, Continental Litho, Paul & Charlene Frazier, Orpha Froblow & Georges Megroz,
Ludvik & Veronica Grigoras, John & Diane Haedrich (Tip Top Meats), Heritage Publishing, Amelia Irvine, Jauregui-Trejo-Escobedo, Georgette Kirmse, Julie Yap Luna & Family, Dorothy Dudley Muth, Charles Wesley Orton, St. Micheal's Episcopal Church, Doris Lee Bulicek Ritchie, Specht Family
Sculptor: Vaclav Lokvenc
Karlovy Vary (Karlsbad), Czech Republic
Dedicated December 4, 1994