By the year 1870, a widowed Clarissa Fairbanks Anderson had built on her property, known as "Markland," a gable-roofed, frame "winter cottage" for guests.
In 1885, her son, Dr. Andrew Anderson, Jr., sold part of the property to his new friend Henry Flager. Mr. Flager had Anderson Cottage moved from King Street to its present location to permit construction of the Hotel Ponce de Leon.
Forty years later, architect Fred Henderich modified the building into its Mediterranean Revival form.
Dr. Robert Ellert and Dr. JoAnn Crisp-Ellert generously gifted this property to Flager College in 2006 to ensure its preservation.