In this sculpture by Charles Keck, Booker T. Washington lifts the veil of ignorance from the face of a former slave. The open book, plow, and anvil symbolize Washington's guiding principles of opening the path to education through agriculture and industry.
Besides commemorating Washington's accomplishments,the monument marks a new era for the institute under Robert R. Moton, who was president from 1915 to 1935. Moton raised $250,000 to build the memorial as part of a campaign to strengthen the school's endowment.
From laying out the site to installing and
unveiling the statue in 1922, the monument
was a project of pride for students, faculty,
and friends of the institute.