The Milo Community began in the late 19th century on the prairie between Palo Duro and Tule Canyons. Named for the favored area crop, the settlement had a store, post office, school, and scattered family dugouts and homes in the 1890s. When John Alexander Cope died in 1892, his family donated two acres for a community cemetery. The general landscape is traditional, with all graves oriented east-west among natural grasses. Two early graves are fenced with ornamental iron, and a concrete curb encloses the Cope family plot. Granite, marble, sandstone and cement markers honor pioneers and later citizens, including two Civil War veterans and fraternal lodge members. Today the Milo Cemetery is the only remaining evidence of this historic site.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2012
Marker is property of the State of Texas