In the fall of 1891, six months before the official founding of the town of Silverton, a group of citizens met together to form a non-denominational community Sunday school. Early meetings were held in a mercantile store and the county courthouse. Later, the Presbyterian church hosted all denominations in town until each congregation was able to build its own structure.
Under the leadership of W.S. Riddell, the First Baptist Church of Christ was organized on April 2, 1882, with sixteen charter members: J.H. & Sarah Askey, A.N. & Jane Askey, W.S. & Vici Riddell, Isaac H. & Sallie Watkins, A. Wright, J.A. & Lucy Northcutt, S.P. & Lee Huss, W.A.P. Matthews, and Mr. & Mrs. W.H. Stovall. By 1900 plans were made for the construction of a sanctuary and soon a one-room structure was built.
Throughout its history, this congregation has served the community with a variety of worship, educational, and missionary outreach programs. Continued growth in membership led to the acquisition of property and the construction of additional facilities over the years. A part of Silverton history for over a century, First Baptist Church continues to uphold the traditions of its founders.