The community that developed here was named Green Pond by A.T. Williams, because it reminded him of his home in Green Pond, SC. Early settlers Leroy Smith, Stephen Hancock, George Ritter, R.W. Hammond, and J.B. Rushing, donated land for a church, cemetery and school. The cemetery was established in 1879 when two infants, Hart and Williams, were buried here. The earliest recorded church meeting occurred in May 1886. Early church meetings took place in brush arbor in the woods north of the present church building. On September 21, 1894, Green Pond Baptist Church was organized with six members: Abraham Taylor Williams, Pencheeta Hancock Williams, Eliza Jane Williams, Havilah Pencheeta Knowles, Henry Littleton Meeks and R.W. Hammond. These charter members signed a church covenant, agreeing to "to keep house for God by living together in church capacity. To watch over each other for good, pray with and for each other and endeavor to discipline for the correction of discord members. We will do as best we can the Lord being our help."
The family names on the early church roll included Williams, Knowles, Meeks, Lanier, Combee, Roberts, Judy, Grimes, Hunt, Byrd, Bridges, Woodard, Tyer, Raulerson, and Rushing. Descendants of these families still live in the area.