About 200 feet north of this location, a fence marked the edge of the "curtilage." This sixty-one acre area separated the house and designed landscape from the larger plantation. In 1813, Jefferson noted that he had "inclosed and divided it into suitable appendages to a Dwelling house," and had begun its "improvement by planting trees of use and ornament."
(left image text)
Four roads linked the main house with the outside world. Internal roads, such as the one that encircled the house and core landscape, carried people and goods within the plantation.
(center image text)
A portion of the curtilage fence has been recreated along the front entrance drive. This traditional "Virginia" or "snake" fence is built of hand-split Black Locust rails stacked loosely in a zig-zag pattern. As in Jefferson's day, the bottom rails rest on fieldstones to prevent rotting from contact with the ground.
(right-top image text)
Archaeologists discovered a series of planting holes that likely define the inner and outer edges of a segment of Jefferson's circular road. He described the road as 540 yards in circumference.
(right-bottom image text)
The pattern of planting holes is nearly identical to Jefferson's plan to line both sides of the road with Paper Mulberry trees planted 20 feet apart.