Naval Defence: Yesterday and Today Historical

Naval Defence: Yesterday and Today Historical (HM1VKB)

Location: Victoria, British Columbia V9C Capital
Country: Canada

N 48° 25.967', W 123° 26.934'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 106 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription

La Défense navale d'hier et d'aujourd'hui

The first Royal Navy warship dropped anchor in Esquimalt Harbour in 1848. Since then, the harbour has witnessed a fascinating evolution of naval power. Though global politics and weapons systems may change, Esquimalt remains a major strategic base.
In the [illegible - early?] years, the surrounding forests provided wood for repairs to masts and spars. The first structures were hospital huts built during the Crimean War (1854-56). As steam replaced sail, Vancouver Island's large reserves of coal helped power Britain's new ironclad warships.
The harbour's increasing activity helped justify the construction of Fisgard Lighthouse in 1860. The completion of a drydock in 1887 gave Esquimalt full repair facilities, and was the high-water mark of the British naval presence on Canada's west coast.
After the turn of the century, new threats closer to home led Britain to start recalling her forces from the outposts of the Empire, and in 1905 the last ships of the Royal Navy's Pacific Squadron left Esquimalt. Canada had to assume responsibility for her own naval defence, and in 1910 the Royal Canadian Navy was formed. Equipped at first with two aging British cruisers—one on each coast—the R.C.N. grew by fits and starts. Years of peacetime austerity were followed by feverish shipbuilding and training in time of
war.
Today, Canadian sovereignty on the west coast is protected by the men, women, ships and aircraft of the Canadian Maritime Forces Pacific.
C'est en 1848 que le premier navire de guerre de la Marine royale a jeté l'ancre dans le port d'Esquimalt Depuis, le port été témoin de l'évolution fascinante de la puissance navale. Et, en dépit des changements au niveau des politiques globales et des systèmes d'armement, Esquimalt reste une base stratégique d'importance.
Dans les premiers temps[?]es forêts avoisinantes fournissaient le bois nécessaire à la réparation des mâts et des espars. Les premiers batiments à être construits furent les baraquements d'un hôpital au cours de la guerre de Crimée (1854-56). Et comme la voile a été supplantée par la vapeur, les vastes reserves de charbon de l'île de Vancouver ont aidé à propulser les nouveaux navires de guerre cuirassés de la Grande-Bretagne.
L'activité croissante du port a permis de justifier la construction du phare Fisgard en 1860. L'achèvement du bassin de radoub en 1887 fit d'Esquimalt un centre de radoub complet et il marqua le point culminant de la présence des forces navales britanniques sur la côte ouest du Canada.
Au début du vingtième siècle, de nouvelles manaces se profilerent à l'horizon de la Grande-Bretagne quie commença à rapatrier ses forces des avant-postes de son empire et c'est en 1905 que les dernies navires de l'escadre au Pacifique de la Marine royale quittèrent Esquimalt. Cela obligea le Canada à assumer ses responsabilités en matière de défense navale et à créer, en 1910, la Marine royale canadienne. Équipée tout d'abord de deux croiseurs britanniques plutôt vétustes—un sur chacune de nos côtes—la Marine canadienne s'est développée par à-coups. Les années d'austérité du temps de paix firent place, en temps de guerre, à l'activité fèbrile des chantiers navals et des centres d'instruction.
De nos jours, le Canada assure la souveraineté de sa côte ouest grâce aux hommes et aux femmes, aux navires et aux appareils de ses Forces maritime Pacifique.
[Photo captions read]
Ships of the Royal Navy in Esquimalt Harbour, about 1870.
[French version not available]
HMS Amphion in Esquimalt drydock, about 1889.
Le navire HMS Amphion en radoub à Esquimalt, vers 1889.
[Bottom right photo caption not available]
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1VKB
Tags
Placed ByParks Canada
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Tuesday, November 8th, 2016 at 9:01pm PST -08:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)10U E 466795 N 5364501
Decimal Degrees48.43278333, -123.44890000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 48° 25.967', W 123° 26.934'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds48° 25' 58.02" N, 123° 26' 56.04" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Closest Postal AddressAt or near Fort Rodd Hill Rd, Victoria British Columbia V9C, CA
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?