Henry Sanders, Jr., (1776-1844) settled in this county in 1795. Besides building Sanders Tavern, parts of which stood until about 1947, he also built "Clay Hill," the home of his son James Sanders. He assisted in the survey of the road built through Muldraugh's Hill, and in 1837, gave the land for Pleasant Hill Baptist Church, located nearby.
Site of Tavern owned by Henry Sanders, Jr., and operated by him as early as 1814. The 30-room inn was a famous stop for the six-horse stage coaches traveling the old Lexington and Nashville Road. Many notable persons were guests at the tavern, the most prominent of whom was Pres. Andrew Jackson on his way to Washington, September 27, 1832.