In 1852, Most Rev. Antoine Blanc, newly raised to the rank of first Archbishop of New Orleans, founded St. Maurice Parish to serve Fabourg La Course below the Ursuline Convent, then on Jourdan Ave. L'Abbé Napoleon
J. Perché, convent chaplain and later third Archbishop, opened subscriptions for the parish that extended to Paris Road and included the field of the Battle of New Orleans. The present church, designed by Fr. J.F. Cambiaso, S.J., was built in 1857. St. Maurice lists among its zealous pastors the future Bishop of Alexandria, LA., Most Rev. Charles P. Greco, who ministered here 1926-1944.