Once harvested, tobacco leaves were placed on stakes and then hung across large poles from the ceiling down, to cure or dry and preserve the leaves. Curing was accomplished by a variety of ways, including using heated metal pipes or flues, wood smoke, air, or sun. Maryland tobacco was air-cured, so barns were built with slats, that could be opened to allow for optimal air flow.
After four to eight weeks the tobacco was cured and ready to be 'graded'. Leaf color, size, texture, and position on stalk were all taken into 'grades' of tobacco. The leaves were then tied together, in bundles or 'hands', and packed into hogshead barrel by a tobacco prize to be taken to market.
Originally located on property previously owned by John J. Lerch III, in Gambrills, Maryland, this tobacco barn is believe to have been built around 1910. Due to the development of a recreational park on the property, the barn was relocated to Kinder Farm Park in August, 1998. Given the extensive damage, only the inside framework of the original barn could be salvaged. The frame was kept in order by attaching small numbered tags, some of which can still be seen inside the barn. New siding was milled from rough-cut yellow poplar and galvanized steel was used for the roof. The barn was completed in March, 1999.