Village of WaterlooWaterloo has been a transportation hub since 1760 when wagons brought pig iron from nearby Andover Furnace to the village's iron forge. When the Morris Canal opened in 1831, horse-drawn wagons brought iron ore to the docks where it was loaded onto the waiting canal boats. In the 1840s, mule-powered rail cars were used instead of the wagons. Later, steam railroads brought freight and passengers to Waterloo Station and stage coaches carried people to the Waterloo Inn and beyond. Twentieth-century motorized vehicles once crossed the canal basin on an iron truss bridge whose abutments are still visible.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 22nd, 2016 at 5:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 520659 N 4529261|
|Decimal Degrees||40.91420000, -74.75466667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 54.852', W 74° 45.28'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 54' 51.12" N, 74° 45' 16.8" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||973, 908|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near Morris Canal, Byram Township NJ 07821, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|