(Formerly the Friends Meetinghouse)
—144 East 20th Street —In 1859, the Society of Friends, known as Quakers, commissioned the firm of King & Kellum to design a structure "exactly suited for a Friends Meeting, entirely plain, neat and chaste, of good taste, but avoiding all useless ornament". This building is Anglo-Italianate in style and decorated with Renaissance-style cornices, pediments and arched windows. It was purchased and restored by the Brotherhood Synagogue in 1975.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||New York Landmarks Preservation Foundation|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 22nd, 2016 at 1:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 585590 N 4510128|
|Decimal Degrees||40.73765000, -73.98631667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 44.259', W 73° 59.179'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 44' 15.54" N, 73° 59' 10.74" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||212, 646, 917, 347, 718|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 18 Gramercy Park S, New York NY 10003, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|