In 1926, a 2.5-acre rose garden was designed for this meadow, with the help of landscape architect Herbert Kellaway and rosarian Harriet Foote. Once completed, the garden contained approximately 10,000 rose plants of 400 varieties and cost more than $200,000. Other features in the "key hole" design included a screened summerhouse, a pergola, several ponds, and a stone bridge. As president of the National Women's Farm and Garden Association and the Garden Club of Dearborn, Mrs. Ford invited many groups to visit the gardens and join her for summer teas.
In 1915, the Fords hired noted landscape designer Jens Jensen to landscape their property surrounding their new home. As a result, a series of meadows and informal gardens was planned and built northwest of the home, including this area. Jensen was a major proponent of designing landscapes that appeared natural and featured native plants. Although Mrs. Ford liked the informal gardens, she decided to redesign this meadow as a formal rose garden, as recommended by Harriet Foote. As a result, Jens Jensen resigned.