Opened in 1868 as McCreery's Dry Goods Store, the Cast Iron Building is one of the finest examples of cast-iron artistry in New York City. Noted architect John Kellum designed the building and the leading firm of J.B. and W.W. Cornell manufactured the cast iron. McCreery's was part of the Ladies' Mile Shopping District for many years, but left the site in 1902, after which it became a factory for ladies' shoes and handbags. A fire in 1971 almost insured the building's doom, but the cast-iron facade and interior elements survived, and in 1972-1973 the building was resurrected for residential use., the first such conversion of a loft building in the city. The Cast Iron Building (as McCreery's) is prominently mentioned in the best-selling novel, "The Alienist," by East Village author Caleb Carr.This plaque was placed here by
The Cast Iron Corporation, 2004.