—Diverse Visions / One Neighborhood —Before the city built a bridge over Rock Creek at P St., this area was a favorite fording place. In fact, it was here that the Baltimore Light Dragoons and French units led by Lafayette, Count Rochambeau and Duc De Lauzan crossed Rock Creek during the American Revolution. A low-level covered bridge crossed the creek from 1855 until 1871, when Georgetown and Washington jointly constructed a $43,000 metal truss bridge. A horse-drawn trolley of the Metropolitan Railroad Company ran west from Dupont Circle across the P St. Bridge into Georgetown. The present double arched masonry bridge was built in 1935 and renovated in 2004.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||Cultural Tourism DC|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 16th, 2016 at 9:01am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 322537 N 4308732|
|Decimal Degrees||38.90956667, -77.04671667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 54.574', W 77° 2.803'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 54' 34.44" N, 77° 2' 48.18" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1426 21st St NW, Washington DC 20036, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|