In the early 1970's, Birmingham, like many other cities, viewed the improved health of its downtown as best represented in new construction and high-rise office buildings. Thus, the Tutwiler again made history in 1974, when it was one of the first major buildings in the country to be razed by "implosion," making room for the First Alabama Bank Building. A few blocks away the eight-story Ridgely Apartments, at 21st Street and 6th Avenue, was financed and owned by Major Tutwiler and completed in April 1914. The Ridgely operated as a luxury apartment building and in 1985 was 72 years old. Like many other fine buildings of its era, it had lost its utility as an apartment building. The Ridgely-Tutwiler rebirth was initiated by the great-grandson of Major Tutwiler, Temple Tutwiler III, who in early 1985 advanced the idea of the transformation to a hotel also named The Tutwiler. The original apartments yielded 148 spacious guest rooms, with 13 dirrerent room layouts per floor. Thus, the Tutwiler legacy continues today "better than ever!"