Low Memorial Library was a gift from the University president, Seth Low, in honor of his father, Abiel Abbot Low. It was the first major building to be erected on the new campus of Columbia University
on Morningside Heights. Designed in 1893 by Charles Follen McKim, 1847-1909, of McKim, Mead & White and completed in 1897, it was conceived as the focus of their campus plan. Originally used as the library of Columbia University, it became the ceremonial and administrative center when Butler Library was built in 1934.
Plaque provided by New York Community Trust, 1973