Newcastle Becomes a Center Parent Companies of the Northern Wyoming Railroad
Development of northeastern Wyoming came quickly on the heels of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, or the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe as it is known today. The Burlington's Grand Island and Northern Wyoming line streamed into Newcastle on November 17, 1889.
The newly created town became the western terminus of the tracks when construction was suspended for the winter. As a railroad division point, Newcastle quickly became a central hub for oil, coal, timber, and livestock interests.
By 1900, 756 people lived in Newcastle, most of them railroad workers, and miners. The population continued to climb, and by 1950, 3,395 people called the town home.
Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad
Burlington and Missouri River Rail Road Company
1882 - Built from Missouri River to Denver
Grand Island and Wyoming Central Railroad
1886 - Built from Grand Island, NE to Wyoming border
Grand Island and Northern Wyoming Railroad
1888 - Built from northeast Wyoming to southern Montana
Side bar on the left:
Sending the Word Out
The first depot was a "hand car house" unloaded off
a construction flatcar the day before the first passenger train arrived. E.R. Maris became the operator of the newly installed telegraph lines in 1890. He sent out the message that the town of Newcastle, Territory of Wyoming now had railroad connections.