—317 East Lake Street —The saloon listed in the 1899 directory at this location was run by Henry Schapler, who had been born in Germany. By 1900 three of the 15 saloons in Petoskey were run by Schaplers, including Henry's brothers Fred and Frank. Several of the Schaplers lived upstairs including John Schapler. The namestone on this 1904 brick building may have been made by Julius Schapler, who was a block cutter. After many years as a retail location, at the new millennium the building was returned to its original use by the Bear River Brewing Company. Original wood floors and interior brick walls have been revealed and the rear decks on the building feature views of the bay.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||Little Traverse Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 18th, 2016 at 9:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 660010 N 5026646|
|Decimal Degrees||45.37505000, -84.95641667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 45° 22.503', W 84° 57.385'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||45° 22' 30.18" N, 84° 57' 23.1" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 317 E Lake St, Petoskey MI 49770, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|