The Mill Historical

The Mill Historical (HM1UC1)

Location: Blairstown, NJ 07825 Warren County
Country: United States of America

N 40° 58.997', W 74° 57.607'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 67 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription
Built in 1818 by William Hankinson the mill is a stone replacement for the Smith's Mills, a grist and a saw mill, built by Benjamin Smith, ca. 1760. Smith's Mills was also the first name of the Village. When Hankinson erected the stone mill traces of the earlier mills were discovered.
Affectionately known as "The Mill", the original stone structure had had only two floors but an additional floor and a half as well as a wooden extension were added latter. Milling operations as well ownership changed several times over the years, but in 1880 Blairstown most outstanding citizen, John I. Blair whose mansion, (The Homestead) was located on the hill overlooking the Mill, became its owner and remained so almost to the time of his death in 1899. During his ownership he did not operate the mill but leased it to others. Over the years, the Mill was allowed to deteriorate to such a degree it had become an eyesore however thanks to Blair Academy and its Headmaster, John C. Sharpe, in 1903 it was purchased and remodeled. At the same time a dam was added and the meadow flooded, creating Blair Lake.
The mills uses over time have been varied, milling operations ceased in 1932, than it became a feed store for a while, after that it saw a term of vacancy but in 1940, that all started to change. The first floor was utilized by a local
Girl's Club as a children's play area and a small space on the second floor was occupied as the Blairstown Public Library. It started with 600 books however the place was so fascinating to its readers, that additional space was needed. As the library grew from its original 600 volumes to in excess of 1400, it received sizeable monetary gifts. To recognize
these generous contributors, its name was changed to the Catherine Dickson Hoffman Library. During this same period the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts held their meetings there, and The Blair Women's Club also housed a Museum within its walls. As the village continues to change, the Library has moved to its own modern building housing, in excess of 72,000 volumes, and the Mill is presently utilized as residence for Blair Academy faculty.
The Mill is a focal point in our community, its race way is gone, its water wheel still in place and its future in the able hands of Blair Academy.
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1UC1
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Monday, September 12th, 2016 at 9:03pm PDT -07:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18T E 503355 N 4536902
Decimal Degrees40.98328333, -74.96011667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 40° 58.997', W 74° 57.607'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds40° 58' 59.82" N, 74° 57' 36.42" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)908, 201
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 13 Main St, Blairstown NJ 07825, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?