In 1911 the Catholic bishop of Dallas, Joseph Patrick Lynch (1872-1954), beseeched the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word to administer St. Joseph's Infirmary in Paris. The congregation, based in San Antonio and experienced in hospital care, dispatched six Sisters by train.
They arrived in Paris in August, and began refurbishing the 2-story, 16-room frame infirmary on this site. The building had been converted about 1908 from St. Patrick's Academy (established in 1898), but was later abandoned.
The Sisters' first patient was admitted on October 1, 1911. Within three years Bishop Lynch dedicated a new 4-story brick infirmary here. When much of Paris was consumed by fire on March 21, 1916, St. Joseph's survived with its own power and light plant. Doctors' offices and school classes were welcomed in the infirmary.
World War II ended the Depression and brought an army camp to Paris, with St. Joseph's serving the military and dependents who arrived. The 1914 building and hospital services were expanded during and after the war, directly supporting the economic growth of Paris.
In 1963 a campaign was launched by the congregation and local supporters to build a new hospital, dedicated here in 1968. The facility and services have been frequently expanded to serve a large surrounding region.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986