This location has been home to a school building for the students of the Terrell area since 1901. The site was selected to serve the children living north of the Texas and Pacific Railway tracks nearby. A two-story building named the North Primary School was completed here in September 1901 at a cost of $9,000, and contained six classrooms with facilities for 300 pupils.
Over the years increased enrollment placed greater demand on the primary school and other schools. In 1931 the Terrell School Board decided to erect new school buildings with financial assistance provided by the Public Works Administration. Completed in 1936, this primary school was designed by Dallas architect Mark Lemmon, and contained 14 classrooms and an auditorium with a 12-foot stage.
Still in use, this building is a fine example of Georgian revival architecture, featuring a 5-bay primary facade, rounded pedimented entry doors, round-arch windows on the auditorium, and chimney-like features at the gable ends. The school was renamed in 1979 in honor of Superintendent John E. Langwith (1889-1976) who served the Terrell School District from 1923-1959.