Wild roses covered this hillside when settlers from Tennessee camped here in 1866. The land was first used as a burial site after a son of W. R. Dickey died on Aug. 14, 1866. Dr. James R. Stovall, leader of the pioneers, later donated the property. The farming community of Rose Hill grew up around the cemetery and combination store, school, and church building that stood nearby. Rose Hill Cemetery Association, formed in 1913, cared for the graves after the village disappeared in the late 1930s. Descendants of early residents, led by Walter Wilson, created a perpetual care trust fund in 1973.