In recognition of these Organizations' contributions to the cultural development of Delray Beach, the City Commission designated these locations as historic sites on April 11, 1989.
· 1895 School No. 4 Delray Colored, located at this site
· 1896 Greater Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church, 40 Northwest Fourth Avenue
· 1897 St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church, 119 Northwest Fifth Avenue
· 1899 Free and Accepted Masons, Lodge 275, 85 Northwest Fifth Avenue
· 1911 St. Matthew Episcopal Church, 404 Southwest Third Street
Late in the 19th century, a group of black settlers established a community in this area that became part of the Town of Linton and later the City of Delray Beach. These hardy pioneers established the cultural organization necessary to foster education, fellowship and spiritual needs, despite difficult environmental conditions and isolation.