Hardeman County was created in 1858 and named for early Texas legislators Bailey and Thomas Jones Hardeman. It was not organized, however, until 1884 when the population had increased enough to have a formal county government. The community of Margaret (now in Foard County) was selected as first county seat, but after the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway laid out the townsite of Quanah along its line, voters elected to move the county seat to Quanah in 1890.
A 1906 bond election secured funds for the construction of a new building to replace the 1890 county courthouse. The Commissioners Court selected architect R. H. Stuckey of Chillicothe and Tom Lovell & Sons of Denton to design and construct the building, respectively. Stuckey used a domed cupola, stone lintels over the windows, and ionic columns flanking the entryways to execute his Neoclassical design for the courthouse. Built of glazed tan brick with a raised basement of Indiana limestone, it was completed in 1908.
Since its construction, the Hardeman County Courthouse has served as the center of politics and government for county residents. The square is a focal point for local festivals and community events. An anchor in Quanah's downtown historic district, the 1908 courthouse continues as a significant part of the community's architectural heritage.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark