Toll Gate Historical

Toll Gate Historical (HM1TP5)

Location: Hamilton, AL 35570 Marion County
Country: United States of America

N 34° 6.768', W 87° 59.321'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 90 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription
Side 1

{Map of Early Toll Gate Area
Hamilton, Alabama
County Seat Location}


Captain Albert J. Hamilton, Judge Terrell's son-in-law, petitioned the Alabama legislature for a new county seat election. Toll Gate won the site election in 1881. Captain Hamilton contributed 40 acres of his Toll Gate farm to be sold in lots. The proceeds would fund construction of the new county courthouse. The new town was named "Hamilton" in his honor. The county court was moved there in 1882 while the town was under construction. In that same year, the Toll Gate post office was moved to Hamilton and renamed. Over a period of 60 years, a toll complex had evolved into the new seat of county government. It lay about three miles north of the original site. The Chickasaw burial mounds nearby would become the final resting place of Judge Terrell who had played such an important role in establishing the toll gate. The toll house and stage station eventually became the Bolin House before being demolished in the 1970's. Some foundation timbers were rescued from a cleanup fire in 1974. One partially burned timber is on display at the Nix Library in Hamilton. Go 7 tenths of a mile south and turn left onto Indian Mound Road to learn more about the Chickasaw burial mounds and Jackson's Military Road.


Side 2

This site was selected for Alabama's first toll gate in 1821 by the Alabama Legislature. Marion County's founding father and framer of the Alabama constitution, Judge John Dabney Terrell Sr., was President of the Alabama Senate during selection. The toll gate was an actual gate that intersected north/south traffic. A toll house stood nearby. Toll was charged to travelers for road upkeep and repair. Typical tolls included 75 cents each wagon and team; 50 cents each 2-wheel pleasure carriage; 12 cents each man on horse; 4 cents each head of cattle; and 2 cents each hog or sheep. Animal driving was an important north/south business at the time. No toll was charged for the U.S. Mail or people traveling on foot. Those going to mill or preaching also had free passage. In the 1820's, the toll house also became a rest station for stagecoaches traveling between Washington, DC and New Orleans. The stage sounded a horn before arriving. The horn was sounded once for each passenger. This alerted the station to the number of passengers needing refreshment. The toll gate was located at the intersection of the road to Gin Port and Andrew Jackson's famous Military Road. Gin Port was the original seat of Marion County. However, Gin Port was designated Mississippi territory in 1821. Military Road was built by Jackson and his troops from 1816 to 1820. Military
Road shortened the Nashville to New Orleans route by 200 miles. Its completion greatly improved movement of supply and artillery wagons for our military. It also provided an alternate to the Natchez Trace, a road plagued by bandits. The toll gate's busy intersection had been constructed on the hunting grounds of the Chickasaw Tribe. It was about 1 mile north of three Chickasaw mounds on the Buttahatchee River. As a significant landmark of the area, the community surounding the site and to the north soon acquired the "Toll Gate" name. William Ragsdale was the first to settle this area around 1818. Toll Gate acquired a post office in 1838. By the 1840's, the Military Ford community that lay south of the Buttahatchee River was considered part of Toll Gate. Pikeville, the county seat, was located seven miles to the south of this growing community. In 1868, Lamar County was established. Pikeville's close proximity to the new county line, resulted in selection of a new county seat. Centre, an unsettled area 6 miles north of Toll Gate, won the election. Planning began for a new county seat to be called Popeville.
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1TP5
Tags
Placed ByMarion County Historical Society
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Friday, August 12th, 2016 at 5:01pm PDT -07:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)16S E 408816 N 3775104
Decimal Degrees34.11280000, -87.98868333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 34° 6.768', W 87° 59.321'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds34° 6' 46.08" N, 87° 59' 19.26" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)205
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling West
Closest Postal AddressAt or near Orlando St, Hamilton AL 35570, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?