Boynton Elementary School/Boynton School, designed by West Palm Beach architect William Maughlin is of the masonry vernacular style, has two floors, six classrooms and attic space leading to the belfry. The original staircase and floors were built with Florida pine. On September 8, 1913, it became Boynton's only school for 14 years. It housed 12 grades, had indoor plumbing and electricity installed in the 1920s. It was used as a public school and for community activities until 1989. In the 1990s the new settlers joined residents to revive downtown Boynton Beach, using the schoolhouse as the cornerstone. In 1998-99 the building underwent a $14 million restoration funded by the City of Boynton Beach and the State Division of Human Resources. On November 29, 2001, it opened to the public as the Schoolhouse Children's Museum. Its mission is to encourage families to learn the history of Boynton Beach and Palm Beach County through interactive exhibitions and programs. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.